Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Triangles, Time, Tea, Tiredness.

Life in Rome is progressing rapidly while, as rumours tell, back home is like Arendelle in "deep, deep, deep, deep snow"*. My desk is already a colorful, chaotic heap of trace, paints, cups of water, teabags, pens, tape - you name it. A tin Babar pencil case is functioning as my palette because the local art store is sold out of the palettes we were supposed to buy. I am perpetually tired but would rather be busy than bored.

I'm sitting here at my desk looking at the extremely rough beginnings of a parti and realized I am staring at something essentially like this:
The Deathly Villas
...and it probably makes no sense.

You could argue I've just been looking at this too long.
Switching gears before time gets too far ahead of me, I wanted to briefly list a few of my post-Christmas break thoughts in addition to what I wrote the other day.
  1. I have an even greater appreciation for Rome after experiencing its influence in other countries. Whether I was at the Roman bath in Bath, England or the Brompton Oratory in London it was clear that hundreds of miles are no match for Rome's reach. 
  2. Always travel by train when possible. You miss less that way and don't have to deal with security and possibly checking bags. 
  3. People are the same everywhere. 
  4. A good umbrella and map are invaluable. 
  5. You're not going to see everything so appreciate what you do and don't stress too much about missing the rest. 
  6. If there's something you really want to see and means a lot to you it is worth the time and money.
  7. Always have a book with you but don't read it unless there's nothing to look at in your surroundings.
  8. Realize that things can go unexpectedly wrong.  
  9. Coffee shops and free WiFi are not only your friend but your lifeline. 
  10. Don't take anything for granted. I'm pretty sure I am the most fortunate person alive.
So, there you go. Stay warm and safe if outdoors is predominantly buried in white fluffiness where you are. I've been in Italy so long that it's almost shocking to me that there could be snow affecting all of my friends and family. Then again, it's still a strange thought to think that there is an ocean and the whole of France, Spain, and Portugal between America and me. Hm. But it's also strange that there are only about 3.5 months left until I come home. Eesh. Where's the time going?

*Frozen discussion, references, and songs abound in my studio as of a few days ago. It's all stuck in my head so you'll have to excuse me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perpetual Advent

Part I. "One thing you must know is that in the South there is a story for  everything ." He leaned in warmly, eyes alight,...